Bookstores & Night Reading - Mini Essays Series (1)

As I continue to explore my creative side of writing with each passing day. I am now going to explore another method to tap into my creativity. I came across an idea to write mini-essays which I believe will help me find my voice based on the themes I pick and force me to write on hard days & show up to my writing and the commitment I have made. I am sure it will be fun to read as well. Small bursts of writing and exploring deeper into the world we live in. I use them as prompts to think and write a few sentences which I would like to call mini-essays to practice my creative writing. The idea is to build up a collection of snippets & give direction to my writing, as days go by!


To kick start the series, I have chosen two of my favourite topics to dive into:-

Photo by Kenny Luo on Unsplash

 Bookstores

Row after row stands the army of the of neatly lined up books with their spines facing outward. Each grouped into a category and different section arranged in shelf after shelf endlessly. The reader groups varied; kids, young adults with low shelve. Some lined up high which were out of reach without a ladder. Only the smell of books filling the space, with muffled silence and stillness. Bookkeeper at the help desk. A hushed atmosphere often punctured by the occasional talks and distant voices at the billing counter.

Night Reading

I love it when the pleasant breeze blows through the night sky, covering my room with the darkness. The sheer lace curtains over my window, illuminated by moonlight and my bedside lamp lighting the book in my hands. My blanket keeping me warm; I try putting one leg in, one leg out like I always do since I was a kid. I loved reading at night on my bed when the world around me is quiet and I am with my book after finishing all tasks for the day.

In those moments as I lay reading in the bed, turning the pages going into another world coming alive, sleep stops by calling it a day. I then curl into a c-shape, putting off the lamp, in the quiet breezy night, in the deep cloud that was hanging above me. I would move into the sweet slumber passing into exhaustion, accompanied by a sudden jolt as I fall asleep!

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

End of mini-essays....watch out for more! 

©Shweta, 2020. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Nicely wrote about night reading 🥰🥰🌹

    ReplyDelete

So.....I got published as a writer in Spillwords

Photo by Marcos Paulo Prado on Unsplash It’s published. My writing has been published. I have only published in Medium publica...