Homecoming Reunion

A place where I once belonged
Photo by Mike Scheid on Unsplash

Returning home I feel like a tortoise retracting into her secure shell. I drive down the road leading towards my home, where I lived for most of my life and my heart both sinks and rises all at once. I sink because I used to know every rise and dip on the trail, yet no longer. To anyone else, this is a house like all the others beside it, but to me, it was where I once belonged.

I haven’t forgotten, it is the path that has changed over the course of time, due to footfalls and weathering. I rise to experience what awaits me at the end, a place of love, happiness, warmth and endless chatter, then I’ve had these countless days that have gone by like a zapping bullet train.

Come home, little flower, I hear my mother whispering. Come home and talk while we sip the tea of love, and laugh over our own silliness and talk heart to heart, and I will make the dishes like the way you relish it.

Why did we ever sweat the small stuff? Why didn’t we let go and enjoy the ride all along? Maybe it took time, to realize those were the best days we shared and there is no turning back. The joy still exists, but with a twist, we meet a couple of days a year now, once every few months, we look forward to, so be with me now. Stay. Pack your bags and come visit me and belong, or perhaps I will do the same as time passes by.

Photo by Calum Lewis on Unsplash

Come we’ll paint new memories of togetherness, and do things the way you like it. So come along as you are here I am happy, I am content. We all are here!

Now, everyone is out of their kilter, it is hard to believe, I’m no longer a part of the natural flow of their lives (my parents and my sister), and there is a deep longing and unsaid things, which leaves rustic memories lingering, like a scent of a sweet apple pie.


©Shweta, 2020. All Rights Reserved.
Originally published in I Challenge You. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,you have depicted very w ell the home coming union perfectly after your marriage. It is true to everyone. After all home is home. Home is safe heaven. But ,everybody has to move out of safe nest in search of new assignments. Those who dares will win all battles which comes in their way.🚴‍♀️🤾‍♀️💞😘

    ReplyDelete

So.....I got published as a writer in Spillwords

Photo by Marcos Paulo Prado on Unsplash It’s published. My writing has been published. I have only published in Medium publica...